Defining which kinds of streams and wetlands are covered by the Clean Water Act is an important question for the EPA and the US Army Corps of Engineers. The US Supreme Court has told the agencies to give a clear answer but the agencies proposed rule in 2011 met strong opposition from the farming community. On March 25 the EPA and the Corps took a major step for proper water pollution control and issued a new rule that will:
- Reduce confusion about Clean Water Act protection
- Clarify types of waters covered under Clean Water Act
- Save businesses time and money
- Provide more benefits to public than costs
- Help states to protect their waters
If approved, the EPA rule would provide pollution control to many additional streams in Pennsylvania.
The period for submitting your comment has been extended from July 21 to October 20, 2014.